Rhythm and Balance, Scale and Texture






There are many kinds of balance found in nature. one that I often see is symmetry. I really paid attention to the symmetry in the world around me this past week and focused on where it is and isn't. "Balance and rhythm works together to create works of design that pulse with life, achieving both stability and surprise." (49, Lupton and Phillips). Often within this balance and symmetry, there is also texture. I chose to capture this image in a way so that there is non-symmetry within the photo but symmetry in the subject. I wanted to capture the texture of the object by making the background white and using a black and white filter. I wanted to bring out the smooth inside and rough edges of the nut. With the idea of scale in mind, I wanted it to be prominent but not too overwhelming. In film class, we were taught the Rule of Thirds which is about putting your image on the intersecting points on the screen to create a more natural feeling. So that is what I did with this image and I think it turned out cohesive with how I wanted it to look. 



 

Comments

  1. I love the use of both symmetry and asymmetry in this photo! I feel like I would be dissatisfied if the nut were sitting right in the middle of the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the juxtaposition between the symmetry of the nut shell but the lack of it on the rest of the image is really cool. It adds to the image itself that the nut isn't centered in the image!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the empty space that you left, it makes me engage with the picture a lot more because I feel that the other half of the nut is missing which makes me think of why that is and makes me feel kinda sad for the nut, especially since it is in black in white, and the caption just ties the whole picture together for me. This simplistic picture makes me feel some rather complex feelings, which is crazy... guess you can say I'm nuts about this picture (badum tss)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the filter of this photo. The focus point don't have to be in the center of the picture, and this photo has a large area blank, and its focus point is on the left side of it. The artist makes it very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts